May 11, 2011

Ladies' Goodreads - May

Till We Have Faces
C.S. Lewis

Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold is a 1956 novel by C. S. Lewis. It is a retelling of the Greek myth of Cupid and Psyche, which had haunted Lewis all his life,[1] and which is itself based on a chapter of The Golden Ass of Apuleius. The first part of the book is written from the perspective of Psyche's older sister Orual, and is constructed as a long-withheld accusation against the gods. Although the book is set in the fictional kingdom of Glome, Greece is often invoked to give the story a setting in time, as well as to allow for an interplay between the Hellenistic, rationalistic world-view and the powerful, 'irrational', and 'primitive' one. (from wikipedia)

1 comment:

  1. Umm....can't say that I finished it. It was a little weird. It didn't have the same depth in this story as does many of his more popular ones, and I can see why.

    The story was more along the mythological lines and wasn't very uplifting or thought provoking. I stopped 1/4 of the way into it, so maybe I should've kept reading. There was just nothing keeping me interested.

    I thought the King barbaric and the other characters didn't do much for me. But then again, I've never really been one for weird Greek mythological stories anyway.

    Sorry, but I wouldn't recommend it.

    ReplyDelete