November 16, 2014

How to Think Like Leonardo DaVinci

I have been glimpsing through this interesting book by Michael Gelb who studied Leonardo Davinci's writings and found 7 key principles behind what made Davinci the genius he was. Below is his list. 


Davinci's 7 Keys to Genius
  1. Curiosità: An insatiably curious approach to life and an unrelenting quest for continuous learning.
  2. Dimostrazione: A commitment to test knowledge through experience, persistence, and a willingness to learn from mistakes.
  3. Sensazione: The continual refinement of the senses, especially sight, as the means to enliven experience.
  4. Sfumato: A willingness to embrace ambiguity, paradox, and uncertainty.
  5. Arte/Scienza: The development of the balance between science and art, logic and imagination. “Whole-brain” thinking.
  6. Corporalitá: The cultivation of grace, ambidexterity, fitness, and poise.
  7. Connessione: A recognition of and appreciation for the interconnectedness of all things and phenomena. Systems thinking.

-------



*Which one of these seven habits can you work on this month???
Want to have ideas of how....try some of the self-assessments and activities from his book. The book has been outlined in an interactive online mind-map so you can find which you are interested in. Mind mapping is awesome! Click on the link above to try the mind map.

*Paul and I did the Curiosity 1st activity that is to jot down 100 questions that come to your mind as fast as you can. Then you go through them and find what common themes are. And narrow down your ten most important questions. IT was a fun activity.



------------
Here are the assessments from the book for each of the seven points.
Curiosita
ü  I keep a journal or notebook to record my insights and questions
ü  I take adequate time for contemplation and reflection
ü  I am always learning something new
ü  When I am faced with an important decision, I actively seek our different perspectives
ü  I am a voracious reader
ü  I learn from little children
ü  I am skilled at identifying and solving problems
ü  My friends would describe me as open-minded and curious
ü  When I hear or read a new word or phrase I look it up and make note of it
ü  I know a lot about other cultures and am always learning more
ü  I know or am involved in learning a language other than my native tongue
ü  I solicit feedback from my friends and relations and colleagues
ü  I love learning

Dimostrazione
ü  I am willing to acknowledge my mistakes
ü  My closest friends would agree that I am willing to acknowledge my mistakes
ü  I learn from my mistakes and rarely make the same one twice
ü  I question “conventional wisdom” and authority
ü  When a celebrity I admire endorses a product, I am more likely to buy it
ü  I can articulate my most fundamental beliefs and the reasons I hold them
ü  I have changed a deeply held belief because of practical experience
ü  I persevere in the face of obstacles
ü  I view adversity as an opportunity for growth
ü  I am sometimes susceptible to superstition
ü  In considering new ideas my friends say that I’m: a)gullible/”new-agey”, b) close-minded cynic, or c) open-minded skeptic

Sensazione
ü  I am sensitive to color harmonies and clashes
ü  I know the color of all my friends’ eyes
ü  I look out into the far horizon and up to the sky at least once a day
ü  I am good at describing a scene in detail
ü  I like doodling and drawing
ü  Friends would describe me as alert
ü  I am sensitive to subtle changes in lighting
ü  I can picture things clearly in my mind’s eye

Sfumato
ü  I am comfortable with ambiguity
ü  I am attuned to the rhythms of my intuition
ü  I thrive with change
ü  I see humor in everyday life
ü  I have a tendency to “jump to conclusions”
ü  I enjoy riddles, puzzles and puns
ü  I usually know when I’m feeling anxious
ü  I spend sufficient time on my own
ü  I trust my gut
ü  I can comfortably hold contradictory ideas in my mind
ü  I delight in paradox and am sensitive to irony
ü  I appreciate the importance of conflict in inspiring creativity

Arte/Scienza
ü  I like details
ü  I am almost always on time
ü  I am skilled at math
ü  I rely on logic
ü  I write clearly
ü  Friends describe me as very articulate
ü  Analysis is one of my strengths
ü  I am organized and disciplined
ü  I like lists
ü  I read a book starting at page one and go through in order

ü  I am highly imaginative
ü  I am good at brainstorming
ü  I often say or do the unexpected
ü  I love to doodle
ü  I am better at geometry than algebra
ü  I read a book by skipping around
ü  I prefer to look at the big picture ad leave details to someone else
ü  I often lose track of time
ü  I rely on intuition

Corporalita
ü  I am aerobically fit
ü  I am getting stronger
ü  My flexibility is improving
ü  I know when my body is tense or relaxed
ü  I am knowledgable about diet and nutrition
ü  Friends would describe me as graceful
ü  I am becoming more ambidextrous
ü  I am aware of the ways in which my physical astate affects my attitudes
ü  I have a good understanding of practical anatomy
ü  I am well coordinated
ü  I love to move

Connessione
ü  I am ecologically aware
ü  UI enjoy similies, analogies and metaphor
ü  I frequently make connections that others don’t see
ü  When I travel I am struck more by people’s similarities than their differences
ü  I seek a holistic approach to diet, health and healing
ü  I have a well-developed sense of proportion
ü  I can articulate the systems dynamics—the patterns, connections, and networks—in my family and workplace
ü  My life goals and priorities are formulated clearly and integrated with my values and sense of purpose
ü  I sometimes experience a sense of connectedness with all Creation




No comments:

Post a Comment