February 18, 2011

Jane Austen Type Movies List

We all love them...we can't help it! JAne Austen type movies capture the charm and romance and chivalry we all love...if they're produced well. Yes, I know...the books are generally what make them. But...I wanted to post about these style of movies so we can comment on additional ones we like (or don't like), and therefore keep a running list.

Here are the chart-toppers!
Pride & Prejudice (A&E; and the runner up 2005 version)
North & South (2004 British mini-series; not the Civil War movie)
Jane Eyre (2006)
Wives & Daughters
Emma (1996 Gweneth Paltrow version and the 2009 version)
Sense and Sensibility (1995, 2008)
Much Ado About Nothing (1993)
Persuasion (1995)

Other Good Ones
Pride & Prejudice (1940)
Lark Rise to Candleford (series)
Jane Eyre (2011)
Lost in Austen
Bleakhouse (1985 and 2009)
Little Women
The Importance of Being Earnest

Inheritance
Our Mutual Friend (1999)
Cranford
Return to Cranford

Emma (1972?)
Persuasion (2007--but don't like the main girl)
Horatio Hornblower (ok; not great)
Downtown Abbey

Just Ok--more just to pass time with, but not amazing
Jane Eyre (1996, 1983)
Bride & Prejudice (Bollywood: Modern Spoof with an American Darcy and Liz from India--a litttle cheesy and is a musical)
Pride and Prejudice (2003--Latter-day Saint Spoof)
Little Dorrit (2009, although the French guy is creepy)
MiddleMarch (2004 tv series)
Daniel Deronda (2002, although it's a little dark)
Mansfield Park (1983, 1997, 2007--the main character is awesome, but other characters seem over the top artsy)

On Trial (feel free to comment if you've seen them....this list will be updated as we see them)A Modern Pride & Prejudice (coming out 2011)
Wuthering Heights
Vanity Fair
As You Like It
Miss Potter
Camille


Here's a great list by year that's been produced!
http://www.janeausten.org/jane-austen-movies.asp






2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to comment on the Mansfield Park movies I've seen.... There are actually a few. And I remember one that was done really well (if you haven't read the book). The problem is that I had just read the book before I watched the different versions and I felt that none of them really captured how I felt when I read the book. I think this is because the movies were all under 2 hours. And I feel there needs more development...(like the 5 hour A&E P&P development!). But, they're still entertaining to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About Mansfield Park... I really didn't like the 2007 version. I felt that they ignored almost half of the book in the beginning. Besides I didn't like the actress who played Fanny. But I really like to try watching the 1999 version. The trailer seems more appealing. On the Downtown Abbey series.. my opinion is that it's a must see! It differs from the Austen's style but still has that kind of 19th century romance we all love! Please, visit my blog! It's at http://bloglivrosecha.blogspot.com.br/. I hope you enjoy my book reviews in English!

    ReplyDelete