I love this simple recipe that doesn't need boiling water or cream of tartar. It makes four big balls. And it's awesome to have my kids make it with me and play with it, so they know where it came from and feel empowered to make their things they can play with.
1 c very warm water
4 c flour
2 T oil
1 1/2 c salt (this much, since there is no cream of tartar to preserve)
food coloring (four colors)
1. Get four bowls and divide 1/4 c water in each.
2. Add 1/2 T oil in each and add the different food coloring in each bowl as desired.
3. In a large bowl add the salt and flour together and mix.
4. Put 1 cup of the flour/salt mixture into each bowl and mix/knead each separately.
5. Store each in the fridge in a plastic bag--squeeze out air.
The consistency should be similar to playdoh from the store. :)
Winter: make playdough snowmen or Christmas trees and put out a bowl of trail mix (or candies) for kids to decorate as desired. They could even eat the dough--though it's super duper salty and not yummy at all! :)